SURVEY SAYS . . .
Based on casual observance by the members and employees of Street Road Artists Space, the unTOLL Booth has served as a deterrent to trespassing. Once the it was installed, vehicular traffic in the cut-through decreased. Although not state sanctioned, the unTOLL Booth seems to have served as a symbol of authority and to have created a boundary on the property and rerouted traffic to the road.
The Survey results for Route 41 unTOLLed Stories revealed some surprising results. Most respondents (39%) were recently local residents. 19% of respondents were born and raised in the area. 35% of visitors reported that they were just passing through. When asked what type of road Route 41 should be, 52% of respondents thought the road should remain a two lane road, whereas 42% thought the road should be widened to a four lane thoroughfare . 39% of respondents thought of the road as a country road and 29% thought the road was a good connector.
To increase safety, the installation of a traffic light was favored by 19% of respondents. A traffic circle by 35% and "other" by 32%. In discussion with the community. The term roundabout (as a traffic calming mechanism) is the correct and preferred description of the round structure and may be the "other" respondents were referring to.
Most respondents were unaware that they were trespassing (68%). The remaining 32% were aware that they were trespassing. Asked why they were trespassing, 42% said for arts sake while 19% said for safety and 19% said they were curious.
A large portion of the results were collected during the opening, closing and special events for Arterial Motives. Most favored the site to remain a destination Arts Center (32%) with other choices such as a bank, convenience store, trampoline park and field of dreams sharing the remanding percentage of the responses.
unTOLLed stories, by Felise Luchansky and Emily Artinian is a participatory artwork that's part of Street Road's Arterial Motives exhibition. Open on Fridays from 3-4pm, and Saturdays from 1-2pm for the duration of the exhibition, unTOLLed stories is a toll booth on the Street Road site. Drivers are paid a toll in exchange for participating in a survey about local traffic – especially the habit of local drivers to use the Street Road property as a short cut.